Home > Miscellaneous > Reflections from a Kindle owner

Reflections from a Kindle owner

Back in April I got a Kindle for my birthday. It’s changed my tech-life massively, and I thought I’d write a few words on that here, from a developer’s perspective.

(Disclaimer: the Amazon links in this blog post are Amazon Affiliate links, which means I get a percentage of any sales resulting from you following them. If you don’t feel I deserve that percentage, then feel free to go to amazon.co.uk or amazon.com [non-affiliate links] and I’m sure Amazon will be happy to help you find a Kindle.)

Books

I now read most books on my Kindle. In many ways it’s a better experience than a paper book – it’s much lighter than the average programming book, I can rest it on my leg without having to hold it open, turning pages is easier, and with a cover with built-in light I can read in the dark (e.g. I can read in bed without waking up my girlfriend).

It does have its downsides in comparison to a paper book as well – navigating between different spots isn’t as seamless/natural, even with hyperlinks; code listings often wrap (I usually view these in landscape mode, but even then it’s often not enough); it’s significantly more valuable than a book, so I need to take a lot more care with it; some nuances of book formatting don’t always make it through the conversion; and although it’s got a massive battery life, that’s still a consideration.

When I’m buying a new book online now though, I don’t hesitate to get the Kindle version (if it’s available). The benefits far outweigh the downsides.

Magazines

I’ve been wanting to read the Prag Pub magazines for a long time now, but I don’t like to sit in my computer and leaf through PDFs (and I certainly didn’t want to print them all out onto paper). Luckily, they’re all available for free download in Kindle format, so over the past few months I’ve gradually been catching up with the back issues. It’s a great magazine and I’d highly recommend it, whatever your e-reader of choice.

Blogs and essays

Instapaper is an essential tool for any Kindle owner. It gives you a “Read Later” bookmarklet, which enables you to mark any article to be read later. You can then tell Instapaper to deliver a collection of your unread articles to your Kindle regularly, for free! This has made such a difference to me. I come across so much good material online that I want to read, through Google Reader and Twitter, but when I’m at the computer I don’t just want to sit there reading blog after blog. Having those interesting articles delivered to my Kindle automatically means I don’t need to think at all – I can just read them when I feel like it.

In the same vein, I use Instapaper to catch up on older essays, such as Paul Graham’s massive collection or Steve Yegge’s drunken blog rants, that I’ve been wanting to read for a long time.

Free 3G

What a tongue-twister. It’s amazing though – if you get the 3G version, Amazon give you free web access, wherever you are. FREE. It still astounds me. It’s not particularly fast, and looks pretty ugly, but it works. For looking stuff up on Wikipedia it’s great.

Conclusion

If you’ve got an e-reader, or something e-reader-like, e.g. an iPhone/iPad/Android something, I’m not going to tell you you need a Kindle as well. Maybe you do, maybe you don’t. But for those that don’t have any way of reading electronic material away from a computer, I’d highly recommend getting one. It might change your life :)

Categories: Miscellaneous Tags:
  1. September 4th, 2011 at 15:31 | #1

Great article Nick! I tried Instaprint today and I love it. I like reading on the Kindle much more than sitting at my computer (because I already spend too much time at the computer).

2. September 4th, 2011 at 15:39 | #2

@Pauline Thanks! It’s such a better an experience isn’t it? I can still remember the first time I saw a Kindle (it was yours or Steve’s) – I knew I had to have one :)

3. September 22nd, 2014 at 01:54 | #3

Citizens. This is the worldwideweb, after all. Cities. 123people finds photos associated with the name pair Mark Goodliffe by using other search engines in real time. And last I checked the newspaper industry isn’t profitable enough to consider deeper and deeper cuts into it’s retail price. The different types of Leukotrienes range from the letters A to E and therefore are differentiated on the basis of their functions and chemical structures. Additionally he was directly active in the design an

4. October 14th, 2014 at 01:57 | #4

Κρίκετ και εγώ αγόρασα ένα Soundtracks Ζωντανή t shirt για δέκα Dollah (και ναι, κάναμε hollah) .. Αλλά το μικρό αποτύπωμα, δεν ση&#956

5. October 16th, 2014 at 02:14 | #5

Είναι όλα σχετικά με Roseman τώρα. Hemos trabajado duro y que os esperamos Guste la nueva παρατάξει para este 2013. Η Royal Διακήρυξη του 1763 δημιούργησε την επαρχία το&

6. October 23rd, 2014 at 01:49 | #6

Elles ont été suivies, après 11 minutes, par ondes S (ondes secondaires ou de cisaillement). Enfin, les ondes de surface initiaux ont été détectés à 1330 UTC (06:30 PDT). Les ondes de surface prennent plus de temps à arriver parce qu’ils se déplacent le long de la surface de la Terre plutôt que par terre comme P et S waves.All trois arrivées Vanessa Bruno Soldes Cabas d’ondes apparaissent clairement dans NEPTUNE Canada données &#22

7. November 7th, 2014 at 01:27 | #7

A chave é evitar a complacência e continuar a procurar activamente para grandes oportunidades de mudança .. Você também não precisa ter propriedade ou operado um negócio para se tornar um consultor de negócios bem sucedido .. Algumas equipes de pesquisa também têm explorado tratamentos para proteger carne enquanto cozinha, principalmente, mantendo-o úmido (SN: 4/24/99, p.Spinta Dalla Passione di migliorare il Mondo em Cui Opero, AGISCO Con T

8. November 8th, 2014 at 01:03 | #8

Ich persönlich denke, die einfachere Art und Weise, dies zu tun wäre, um Mäuse und Tastaturen, die das USB auf PS / 2 Adapter verwenden, anstatt separate Geräte für die verschiedenen Anschlüsse auf dem Kabel zu bekommen. Verteidigungsministerium begann die Sperrung des Zugangs zu diesen Seiten am 14. Das Regiment war während 1942 46.. Einfach, indem Sie das Telefon an Ihr Ohr, können Sie die aktuell angezeigten Kontakt anzurufen. Er schlägt mehr B&#22

9. November 8th, 2014 at 01:19 | #9

Колеса, как правило, резиновые и они управляемым. Акции Infosys, которые часто крайне неста&

10. November 10th, 2014 at 01:03 | #10

Würde ich mich über alle drei Wochen oder so sagen, ist es Zeit für mich, um sie in die Waschmaschine werfen. Er kaufte einen bestehenden Betrieb in einer kleinen Stadt in Ventura County. Sie reiste dann nach ‘Montrose Klinik, wo sie die Einführung eines Video-Wettbewerb, um junge Menschen über die Gesundheits-Gesetz erziehen angekündigt.. Benötigen Sie ebenfalls etwa 1.000 mg Kalzium, 71 g Eiweiß und 27 mg Eisen pro Tag. Ergo, ist es das neue Format der S

11. November 12th, 2014 at 01:27 | #11

Principalmente porque os titulares, que foram, no entanto, confrontados com um novo USB 2.0 mais lento. Funcionários do Museu vi o espaço vazio na parede e assumiu a pintura havia sido transferido para o centro de restauração do Louvre para manutenção. Temos uma geladeira para manter a comida trazida de casa segura (ao invés de comprar McDonald ou outras opções menos saudáveis) e eu insisto que o pessoal levar tempo longe de suas estaçõ

1. October 6th, 2014 at 08:46 | #1
  2. October 24th, 2014 at 18:20 | #2
  3. October 29th, 2014 at 04:35 | #3
  4. October 31st, 2014 at 04:13 | #4
  5. November 1st, 2014 at 17:59 | #5
  6. November 6th, 2014 at 19:52 | #6
  7. November 7th, 2014 at 11:54 | #7
  8. November 7th, 2014 at 14:51 | #8

Comments parsed as Markdown.