Home > Miscellaneous > Reflections from a Kindle owner

Reflections from a Kindle owner

Back in April I got a Kindle for my birthday. It’s changed my tech-life massively, and I thought I’d write a few words on that here, from a developer’s perspective.

(Disclaimer: the Amazon links in this blog post are Amazon Affiliate links, which means I get a percentage of any sales resulting from you following them. If you don’t feel I deserve that percentage, then feel free to go to amazon.co.uk or amazon.com [non-affiliate links] and I’m sure Amazon will be happy to help you find a Kindle.)

I now read most books on my Kindle. In many ways it’s a better experience than a paper book – it’s much lighter than the average programming book, I can rest it on my leg without having to hold it open, turning pages is easier, and with a cover with built-in light I can read in the dark (e.g. I can read in bed without waking up my girlfriend).

It does have its downsides in comparison to a paper book as well – navigating between different spots isn’t as seamless/natural, even with hyperlinks; code listings often wrap (I usually view these in landscape mode, but even then it’s often not enough); it’s significantly more valuable than a book, so I need to take a lot more care with it; some nuances of book formatting don’t always make it through the conversion; and although it’s got a massive battery life, that’s still a consideration.

When I’m buying a new book online now though, I don’t hesitate to get the Kindle version (if it’s available). The benefits far outweigh the downsides.

I’ve been wanting to read the Prag Pub magazines for a long time now, but I don’t like to sit in my computer and leaf through PDFs (and I certainly didn’t want to print them all out onto paper). Luckily, they’re all available for free download in Kindle format, so over the past few months I’ve gradually been catching up with the back issues. It’s a great magazine and I’d highly recommend it, whatever your e-reader of choice.

Blogs and essays

Instapaper is an essential tool for any Kindle owner. It gives you a “Read Later” bookmarklet, which enables you to mark any article to be read later. You can then tell Instapaper to deliver a collection of your unread articles to your Kindle regularly, for free! This has made such a difference to me. I come across so much good material online that I want to read, through Google Reader and Twitter, but when I’m at the computer I don’t just want to sit there reading blog after blog. Having those interesting articles delivered to my Kindle automatically means I don’t need to think at all – I can just read them when I feel like it.

In the same vein, I use Instapaper to catch up on older essays, such as Paul Graham’s massive collection or Steve Yegge’s drunken blog rants, that I’ve been wanting to read for a long time.

Free 3G

What a tongue-twister. It’s amazing though – if you get the 3G version, Amazon give you free web access, wherever you are. FREE. It still astounds me. It’s not particularly fast, and looks pretty ugly, but it works. For looking stuff up on Wikipedia it’s great.

If you’ve got an e-reader, or something e-reader-like, e.g. an iPhone/iPad/Android something, I’m not going to tell you you need a Kindle as well. Maybe you do, maybe you don’t. But for those that don’t have any way of reading electronic material away from a computer, I’d highly recommend getting one. It might change your life :)

Categories: Miscellaneous Tags:
  1. September 4th, 2011 at 15:31 | #1

Great article Nick! I tried Instaprint today and I love it. I like reading on the Kindle much more than sitting at my computer (because I already spend too much time at the computer).

2. September 4th, 2011 at 15:39 | #2

@Pauline Thanks! It’s such a better an experience isn’t it? I can still remember the first time I saw a Kindle (it was yours or Steve’s) – I knew I had to have one :)

3. September 22nd, 2014 at 01:54 | #3

Citizens. This is the worldwideweb, after all. Cities. 123people finds photos associated with the name pair Mark Goodliffe by using other search engines in real time. And last I checked the newspaper industry isn’t profitable enough to consider deeper and deeper cuts into it’s retail price. The different types of Leukotrienes range from the letters A to E and therefore are differentiated on the basis of their functions and chemical structures. Additionally he was directly active in the design an

4. October 14th, 2014 at 01:57 | #4

Κρίκετ και εγώ αγόρασα ένα Soundtracks Ζωντανή t shirt για δέκα Dollah (και ναι, κάναμε hollah) .. Αλλά το μικρό αποτύπωμα, δεν ση&#956

5. October 16th, 2014 at 02:14 | #5

Είναι όλα σχετικά με Roseman τώρα. Hemos trabajado duro y que os esperamos Guste la nueva παρατάξει para este 2013. Η Royal Διακήρυξη του 1763 δημιούργησε την επαρχία το&

6. October 23rd, 2014 at 01:49 | #6

Elles ont été suivies, après 11 minutes, par ondes S (ondes secondaires ou de cisaillement). Enfin, les ondes de surface initiaux ont été détectés à 1330 UTC (06:30 PDT). Les ondes de surface prennent plus de temps à arriver parce qu’ils se déplacent le long de la surface de la Terre plutôt que par terre comme P et S waves.All trois arrivées Vanessa Bruno Soldes Cabas d’ondes apparaissent clairement dans NEPTUNE Canada données &#22

7. November 27th, 2014 at 10:01 | #7

Il offre un design lavable en machine à bourre de polyester confortable et chaleureux. Option Sideline ajoute une ligne de maille longue le long de chaque côté du logo pour un effet élégant. Il a également le cas où le programme BSA doesn fonctionnent réellement pour Livrer Boots Timberland Homme Pas Cher 6 Inch Bottes Rouge les gays. Le programme est conçu comme un lieu sûr pour les garçons afin qu’ils puissent eux-mêmes et ne pas &#23

8. January 22nd, 2015 at 01:10 | #8

August 1973 ausgeliefert. Und schließlich, ein Leitartikel auf Fox Sports haftet für Schwimmer Amanda Beard die Entscheidung für den Playboy posieren. Es ist wirklich nicht mehr als eine normale Hypothek, außer dass die Darlehensvaluta werden, um Sie in Raten gezahlt, anstatt alles auf einmal. Der große Weise Patanjali in seinem Werk Yogasutra kodifiziert alle Yoga-Wissen und Praktiken, die im alten Indien in Form von Aphorismen durchgesetzt. Aber in der Tat ist es nicht

9. July 4th, 2015 at 01:56 | #9

He visto los resultados de esta infiltración en Tanzania, India, Bangladesh, Kenia, Egipto y en todas las ciudades occidentales. La ideología hace fermentar y levanta la intolerancia, el extremismo y, en algunos casos instiga a la violencia. En el escenario C, la mag nitud varió de 54 mm a 144 mm. En la alta sen sibilidad al escenario de cambio climático, hay un aumento previsto de la CN anual para el continente de 1.6 t ha 1 por el año 2100 en comparación con el ca

10. July 17th, 2015 at 02:07 | #10

Child Observed On it’s own within Leads toUp-date: Sets off, Nev. Your Nevada or idaho biological father has been arrested for child forget.In relation to One:31 Saturday evening Cause law enforcement officials been given a try regarding a lost baby. After an interview with the biological father many people decided he’d dirty the proper steps be Polo Ralph Lauren Australia sure the basic safety with his or her youngster and was caught Polo Ralph Lauren Australia and also arrested for little one

11. November 6th, 2015 at 12:10 | #11

Surprisingly individual friendly site. Immense information offered on few clicks.|

1. October 6th, 2014 at 08:46 | #1
  2. October 24th, 2014 at 18:20 | #2
  3. October 29th, 2014 at 04:35 | #3
  4. October 31st, 2014 at 04:13 | #4
  5. November 1st, 2014 at 17:59 | #5
  6. April 2nd, 2015 at 18:04 | #6

Comments parsed as Markdown.