Home > Miscellaneous > Podcasts I listen to

Podcasts I listen to

I listen to a lot of podcasts. Any time I can find to listen to them I do – when I’m cooking, eating, washing up, walking to work, brushing my teeth, going shopping, running …

It’s not always easy to find the best podcasts, so I thought it would be helpful to list them here, along with a quick description, and some selected episodes where appropriate.

This list is in rough order of preference. I’m not saying the ones at the top are objectively better; just that I enjoy them more.

Drunk and Retired

One of my favourite podcasts. Coté and Charles Lowell just chatting, usually about software, but whatever else they fancy as well. Always funny, often enlightening.

Back to Work

Merlin Mann (of 43 folders and Inbox Zero) and Dan Benjamin (of the Ruby world) chatting about creating, productivity, Buddhism and life. Hilarious and amazing.

This Developer’s Life

An excellent podcast, unlike any other I listen to. Every episode follows a theme, with storytelling interviews around that theme, backed by good music. Can’t get enough of it.

Ruby Rogues

This is a fairly new Ruby discussion podcast. It features all your favourite celebrity Ruby developers, like James Edward Gray II, Aaron Patterson, Peter Cooper, Avdi Grimm, Gregory Brown and more. It’s fascinating to hear these at-the-top-of-their-game developers talking about why they do things in a certain way. Each episode is a discussion around a specific topic.

Software Engineering Radio

“The Podcast for Professional Software Developers”. An excellent, quite formal podcast about software engineering topics. It has a bit of a Java, patterns and model-driven architecture bias, but it’s second-to-none in terms of serious software engineering/development content. Most of the interviewers/editors are German, so it’s got a much more ‘European’ view on things (you may not think there’s any difference, but I think there is).

The Pragmatic Podcast

This is usually interviews with Prag Prog authors, so can often come across a bit like a sales pitch, but occasionally there’s a real gem.

A Minute With Brendan

Brendan Eich, JavaScript’s Daddy, talking about the present and future of JavaScript. Hear about JavaScript from the horse’s mouth.

The Creative Coding Podcast

Fairly informal chats mostly about game development/general creative coding, with the odd interview thrown in.

IT Conversations

I try to listen to every IT Conversations podcast, but there are a lot of them. It’s always interesting stuff, and it covers a wide range of topics in the tech world, from programming to biotech to robotics, etc. IT Conversations is actually a collection of other podcasts and conference recordings.

Make All

Coté from Drunk and Retired, with his industry analyst hat on, interviewing programming people.

ExplicitWeb

Three UK-based web developers talking about web development issues. It’s called ExplicitWeb because it has an Explicit rating on iTunes – be warned.

The JavaScript Show

Jason Seifer and Peter Cooper with a slightly irreverent round-up of JavaScript news.

The Ruby Show

The Ruby equivalent of The JavaScript show.

Web Dev Radio

A podcast about web development from Michael Kimsal. Partly an interview show with various web developers, partly Michael just talking about stuff.

The Basement Coders

Informal, Java-heavy discussion about software development. Don’t let the Java put you off though – I’ve never written a line of Java, but I still find it interesting.

The Pipeline

Dan Benjamin interviewing various trendy tech people.

The Changelog

“Open Source moves fast. Keep up.” New and cool stuff in open source.

Tech Weekly

The Guardian’s tech podcast, presented by Aleks Krotoski. A wide-ranging look at the tech industry.

There’s a lot here, but I can just about keep up. I never listen to podcasts when I’m not doing something else, so I don’t see it as a waste of time. In fact, I almost see it as a waste of time when I’m doing something mindless (like washing up, running etc.) and I’m not listening to podcasts. Maybe that’s a bit obsessive, but I think it’s a great way of learning masses of new stuff for free. Anyway, I hope you find something interesting in here. Enjoy!

Categories: Miscellaneous Tags: ,
  1. August 31st, 2011 at 04:44 | #1

Thanks for the kind words Nick, glad we are getting listeners outside the vapid world of Java. Cheers!

2. July 20th, 2013 at 21:46 | #2

Nice blog here! Also your website loads up very fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

3. May 4th, 2014 at 04:55 | #3

女優ってwローラは元々モデルなんですが女優志望にはとても思えないが・・だいたい顔が外人丸出しでキャスティング難しすぎるだろw 確かに。つけまつげはウチでも禁止にして欲しい。 最初、室内はエアシャワーの中のクリーンルームかと思ってたら、 ホスト崩れのチャラい男や、つけまつげてんこ盛りなメスが派手な付け爪してよ、 かわいくなるならやった方がいいに決まってんだろ 各テレビ局のサイトへは上の番組表から 内勤でも基準あるし(ノースリーブ、素足禁止とか) やっぱりぱるるのために用意された番組でした [見る](http://is.gd/Tf5oOQ “見る”) 楽天市場カラコンランキング 本当にここに来てキャップらしくなった

4. October 20th, 2014 at 11:54 | #4

Cuando se trata de placas de matrcula personalizada, la mayora de la gente no tendra 13 combinacin como su favorito. Se ha encontrado que el pueblo de Gran Bretaa son ms supersticiosos y de acuerdo con una encuesta Buy Canada Goose Online realizada en Ugg Boots Usa este pas alrededor del 65 por ciento de ellos cruzan los dedos, mientras que el 74 por ciento toco madera para la buena suerte. Please do not share another contact information through St. Louis Public Radio discussion threads or socia

5. October 21st, 2014 at 03:45 | #5

Dailey je rekel, da je Al Kaida je nedavno zavezništvo z Salafistična skupina alžirski temelji za pridiganje in boj (ki se je preimenovala v Al Kaide v islamskem Magrebu) muči. Osnovna cena je 22.195 $, vendar gre precej naložen prihranite za 795 $ navigacijske funkcije, ki jih lahko živeti brez in 1.995 $ nizu močno pritiskalo Recaro vedra z superheroj obleka stil oblazinjenje, ki ga absolutno ne bi smeli živeti brez, če ste načrt za hitting skl

6. October 23rd, 2014 at 01:47 | #6

Dites aux autres ce que vous pensez sur n’importe quel site Web et de partager l’impression que vous avez sur le site. Dans le monde appelé Le Shoal, vous pouvez déverrouiller un ensemble de palourdes qui viennent à la vie comme un ensemble de tambour de jazz jouable, avec caisse claire, toms et cymbales. Tous les efforts raisonnables sont faits pour donner crédit pour les propriétaires des images. La meilleure partie de la nouvelle NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 est qu’il est l

7. October 23rd, 2014 at 01:57 | #7

Web design and development has come a long way since the early days whenever everything had to be hand coded, line by line. The amount of time, headaches, and large amounts of caffine use that was required to build common web sites has turned into a process that is a lot more user friendly through the use of WYSIWYG web creating utilities which allow almost anyone, of several skill levels, to build a web site for personal or professional use.What on earth is WYSIWYG?The term WYSIWYG stands for a

8. November 3rd, 2014 at 01:51 | #8

Można łatwo zrozumieć jej wartość i znaczenie. Zwykłe funkcje społecznościowy jest w stanie dzielić się informacjami i łączyć się z innymi są obecne, choć jest to w zasadzie zwykłe przedłużenie stronie głównej AARP. Nie odwołują się bezpośrednio do stron internetowych partnerskie, ponieważ będą one najprawdopodobniej spadła, a link do Twojego osobistego

1. May 12th, 2014 at 03:25 | #1
  2. May 12th, 2014 at 03:31 | #2
  3. May 17th, 2014 at 06:42 | #3
  4. May 17th, 2014 at 06:54 | #4
  5. October 11th, 2014 at 20:00 | #5
  6. October 18th, 2014 at 04:28 | #6

Comments parsed as Markdown.